Monday 16 July 2012

Feminist Theory


Growing up I always say I am a feminist to the bone. I am of a belief that anything a man can do a woman will do it ten times better. I was totally unfair in my thinking because even if the woman was wrong she would be right for me. After doing this topic I got a better understanding of who a feminist is. A feminist; is anyone who advocates for women, whether it be man or woman, straight or gay. All along I thought only a woman could be a feminist. The feminist theory focuses on understanding a woman’s experiences. I believe that only a woman can tell you how she feels when she was sexually violated or when her husband hits her.  With the voice of feminists greater and stiffer penalties were imposed on men who assault women and children. Wives were seen as equal to their husband and not someone to wash, cook and clean for him and produce off springs. I am now happy that women can stand up for themselves and not cower when a man speaks. It is a pleasure for me to see women beating men, showing them “who a de boss”. One could say role reversal but to me, things and time has changed women are now fighting back.


Women of today now have greater gender equality and social construct. Women are no longer looked upon as the lesser being. Women no longer have to cower in corners or back of houses because she is afraid of her husband and father. I am happy that we the women of today are now liberated, we can now educate ourselves, pay half the bills, be prime ministers and many other things and still be a mother. Through language gender was socially defined. Gender role is now not based on biology but for what is supposed to be, both man and woman being equal. It was because of the feminist theory that consideration was given to the diversity of the different types of families such as single-parent, lesbian, gay families, stepfamilies and grand-parents-grandchild household. I personally believe that it does not matter the family type that you are coming from you should be still be seen as an individual as not be judged.


No comments:

Post a Comment